Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving

  For my whole life, the holiday season has always been my favorite time of year. Thanks to the efforts of my mother, my brother and I have always had festive Halloweens, plenty to eat at Thanksgiving, more than our fair share of presents to open on Christmas morning, and confetti to throw when the ball drops at midnight welcoming in a New Year.
  But life isn't always fair and losing people in my life, like my mom and Jason, has threatened to take away some of the joy I have always felt during this, my favorite time of year- I like to call them the "ber" months... Septem-ber, Octo-ber, Novem-ber, Decem-ber (seriously, not that creative of a name). It's easy to focus on things we think aren't fair to us or how good someone else must have it. It would be easy to "skip" Christmas or Thanksgiving this year. And nobody could blame me. I could ignore the tree in my attic waiting to litter its needles all over my wood floors. I could turn the other cheek from the sparkly lights waiting to blow my fuses. I could ignore the years' worth of Christmas ornaments my brother and I made during our childhood, tucked in boxes. I could forgo eating stuffing and turkey (and wine). I could. But, I refuse to allow that kind of thinking into my heart and head. That's the easy way out, and it is contagious. It will take over, like a fast-progressing cancer and make you a sad person. It is a thief of joy. And dammit, I hold onto my joy with both hands. It is the true wealth.

 When that poisonous thinking does try to infiltrate my thoughts, I force it out. It takes practice to obtain this mindset. But I get better and better at it. And one of the things I do on an almost daily basis is take an inventory of all the things I have to be thankful for. Something we should all do this time of year anyway, hence that whole giving of thanks day. I hope this year's "ber months" find you and your loved ones in good health, joyful spirits, and in an abundance of the true wealth. We all have so much to be thankful for, regardless of what we are going through. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Here is my list this year, including but not limited to:

Memories from Thanksgivings past





My healthy and happy kiddos



My family who has made an effort to be present



My cozy little house



My PIC


Tiny ballerinas 


Naps. Dear Sweet Lord, naps


My BFF


The ability to get on my feet and WORK- from my education, my accomplishments, to my retirement plan, to my coworkers... while helping my community. Bread & butter.


My fun part time gig & the girls I have met doing it




My continually improving commitment to my own wellness (and workout buddies)


My ever so patient dog, Jasper

 
My security detail



The girls' school, so helpful and so educational. Lila can count in Spanish. (sorta)


That I am woman, that I am here. Hear me ROAR! (LOL is this real life?!)



I'm a survivor
I'm not gon give up
I'm not gon stop
I'm gon work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
 And keep on survivin'
 
Love, blessings, Thanksgiving & a little Destiny's Child,
Claire-can't-even-take-a-selfie-alone

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog. Thank you for your sincerity & inspiration. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through kikilarue and I am so glad I did! I hope you continue to follow the light of your husband and know that life can only be changed not taken away... Xo

    ReplyDelete